In November 1893, a 13-foot rotating statue of the copper goddess holding an arrow and drawn bow was placed atop the Garden across from Manhattan’s Madison Square Park. A previous 18-foot Diana, placed on the Garden 15 months after the building opened in 1890, had proved too heavy to adequately turn with passing winds.
Diana (above in 1925 footage) was the first nude statue displayed in public view in the city. She was visible at night courtesy of floodlights; the first statue in the nation to be illuminated by electricity. The New York Mercury reported that Diana caused men to “linger in listless idleness.”